UK Parliament attack:man shot after police officer stabbed and several hurt,'terror' incident

UK Parliament attack:man shot after police officer stabbed and several hurt,'terror' incident

A policeman has been stabbed and his attacker shot by officers after a major terrorist incident at the Houses of Parliament. 


The attacker mowed down several pedestrians as he drove a grey Hyundai i40 across Westminster Bridge before crashing it into railings then running through the gates of the Palace of Westminster and stabbing the officer.

Eyewitnesses said he was shot by police as he approached a second officer while clutching his knife. There were no official figures for casualties, but police fear more than 10 people have been seriously injured.

The Commons leader, David Lidington, told MPs that a “police officer has been stabbed” and the “alleged assailant was shot by armed police” following a serious incident within the parliamentary estate.

Major security alert at Westminster after at least one person was shot after police officer was stabbed outside House of Commons

Scotland Yard said police had been called to a firearms incident on Westminster Bridge amid reports of several people injured.

Lidington said: “There are also reports of further violent incidents in the vicinity of the Palace of Westminster but I hope colleagues on all sides will appreciate that it would be wrong of me to go into further details until we have confirmation from the police and from the house security authorities about what is going on.”

Pictures emerged after the incident showing people lying injuredon Westminster bridge, some of them bleeding. At least two women and two men were among those injured. One picture appeared to show a woman underneath a bus.

It is understood Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command is involved in the investigation. Plans for a London-wide emergency have been put into place as a precaution, but police are hopeful the incidents are over.

Two people could be seen lying within Old Palace Yard, immediately outside Westminster Hall. The sitting in the House of Commons was suspended while police officers sealed off the area around the incident. Staff inside parliament were told to stay inside their offices.

Minutes after the incident, an emergency services helicopter landed in Parliament Square, as sirens were heard outside. Air ambulance medics came from the helicopter to assist the casualties.

Immediately before the incident, at around 2.45pm, people were seen running from the direction of Westminster Bridge and around the corner into Parliament Square.

A Downing Street source confirmed that the prime minister, Theresa May, was “OK”. May was seen being ushered into a silver Jaguar car as what sounded like gunfire rang out at parliament during the incident.

A meeting of Cobra, the government’s crisis committee, is expected to meet later, with senior officials from government, counter-terrorism officials and police present.

Share on Google Plus

About Pressnews365



Post a Comment